Dec 30, 2009

SLebrity Update: Now I'm Winning!

On January 3rd, 2009, I made a bold - or stupid - prediction; that the word SLebrity would be my promotional "Word if the Year." The aim was to make it much more popular than it was and I intended to use numbers to prove it.

So, I did a Google search and set the baseline:

January 3rd, 2009: The word SLebrity generates 2,730 hits.

As the year progressed, the incidence of the word was - how should I put it? - less than stellar. Three weeks after my announcement of the Word of the Year, the Google hits dropped to 2,630.

Then, by May 19th, the hits had reached a new low: 1,940. If I had been charging people for my skill as a marketing executive, I'd have been having to work hard at dissuading them from asking for their money back!

Things continued to spiral downwards so that by June 23rd, the ghits returned a disappointing 1,660. Clearly there was now a significant lack of evidence for my skills as a promoter being in any shape or form a reality.

But just like pension investments, the trick is to wait long enough. Today I found the ghit rating had rebounded with a vengeance. The count now stands at 10,800! That's four times the original figure on January 3rd and provided it holds until January 3rd, 2010, I can claim victory. The ugly duckling has become a swan with a 400% increase in popularity. In the world of words, SLebrity is now a slebrity!

Now, I realize that the more cynical amongst you may wish to point out that "contingency does NOT equal causality," but that's just a silly statistical argument based on facts. Marketing and promotion is not about facts but perceptions, and I for one will happily sit back and claim that whether you believe there is a causal correlation or not, the fact remains that (a) I claimed I could increase word's ghit count in one year and (b) the ghits have increased fourfold in one year.

No comments: