Sep 15, 2008

I'm NOT a Fan: I'm Just a Spy!

It's disheartening at times to read your own blog and realize that you have ZERO comments. Not one. None.Zilch. Nada. Zip. Blogging can be the 21st century version of either talking to yourself or egotistical masturbation. So for all I know, I may be just jerking myself off.

But if you take a look around at other blogs, you begin to find that you're in good company. There are perhaps thousands of blogs out there that have never been commented on or even read. There are also many thousands that have lasted for less than three months. So many folks seem all fired up to start a blog and then run out of ideas three posts in. Tragic.

So I take comfort from the fact that this blog may not have anyone commenting but I write new stuff almost every day AND it has been around now for over six months. Yah, boo, sucks!

Which brings me to Blogger™'s new feature; the Reading List. Here you can create a list of blogs that you are following. What irritates me is the description the folks at Blogger use for following. You can follow someone publically "...to tell the blog's author and the world that you are a fan."

Fan? Dear God I'm heading to the half century - I am not a Jonas Brothers/Hannah Montana tweenie who swoons and drools over the exploits of other people. Fan? Most of the time I hate other people's blogs. Fan? I read other folks to trawl for information. So "following" a blog has nothing to do with any affect I may have toward that blogger. Hell, I read blogs of people I don't really like!

So I will opt for the "anonymous" following option where none of the bloggers being followed is aware of what I am doing. Of course, I am not averse to a little "you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours" mutual admiration, provided it's agreed up front.

Of course, seeing as no-one is reading this anyway...

No comments: